Tuesday, August 19, 2008

On being creative


I like to papercraft and like most crafters I like to collect tools and supplies (I mean I really like to do this.) I've been away from crafting for about two months now and I'm trying desperately to get back to it and am having a rather difficult time. I get a design in my mind, sketch it out, proceed to begin the work and suddenly fear grips me and I allow myself to stop. I'll start believing that my idea is not going to translate to the page/paper and that I should go back to the drawing board. Right now I am trying to work on a puzzle piece that a very sweet on-line friend passed to me and I'm about to drive myself batty.

I painted the puzzle piece today and am not happy with something as simple as that. The foam brush left all these visible lines on the piece and I wanted a smooth finish. It really just went downhill from there. I have thought of four different design ideas for this piece and yet the piece remains unfinished.

At times I find myself so caught up in finishing something that I don't enjoy it ... I just want to get it completed so I can move on to the next thing. In the end the cycle of "just get it done" repeats again and again. It's a cycle that I must break ... I want to enjoy being creative and not paralyzed by fear that I will do something wrong or better yet create something that others will find laughable or ugly.

No comments: